South Coast Trail is a very popular route in the island all year, but the summer makes it even more charming. Engage in a 4-5 hour trekking experience that unveils the geological distinctiveness of the island with the beautiful coastline always in sight.
- Start at “Forte de São Brás”, military construction from the 17th century built to defend the island from pirate attacks.
- At Pedreira do Campo, explore this natural monument where an old quarry front with about 260 metres of length presents underwater volcanic rocks and marine sediments fossils.
- Next you’ll visit “Gruta do Figueiral” – an artificial cave that resulted from the intense extraction of clay, important raw material for construction in the early days.
- The hardest part is done when you get to see the Praia Formosa bay at its full magnificence. Now it’s time to descend until Prainha (roughly translated as “little beach)”, a true gem you can only access by trailing or by boat as it lies hidden between the hills.
- Follow along coast with the ocean right by your side and uncover more signs of Santa Maria’s unique geology until reaching famous Praia Formosa.
- An awesome local guide
- Pick-up and drop-off within Vila do Porto
- Lamps to observe the inside of Gruta do Figueiral
- Water and cereal bar
- Great memories to take home
- Lunch or any other food on the way;
- Pick-up and drop-off outside Vila. But add in on the note if you need it so we can add up to your reservation
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Walking shoes/sneakers, preferably not slippery
- You need some physical fitness for this experience. If you are able to power walk for at least 30 minutes, you should have the necessary endurance
- We usually start at 09AM and end by 02PM. If you have any impediment for that time, please mention it on the "Notes" field in your reservation
per person €45*
4 to 5 HOURS
* price may vary according to number of people and time of year.