Santa Maria Island has much more to see than what the ordinary viewpoints have to show – there are some details you only get to see if you choose to go off-road. By signing up on our Jeep Safari, you get to visit the main points of interest in the island, from a total different point of view. Our service also includes interpreting what you see concerning History, culture, fauna and flora.
- Start at Forte São Brás and learn about its historical importance in defending the island;
- On Anjos, visit the tidal pools as well as the first church of the Azores. Also, find out about Cristopher Columbus memorable stopover in the island.
- Barreiro da Faneca, a well-known geosite will surely take your breath away with its Mars-lookalike landscape
- Still on the North of the island, take a glance at Ilhéu das Lagoinhas and stop at Santa Bárbara parish where its inhabitants take great pride at preserving Santa Maria’s unique architecture
- On the way to São Lourenço, the most beautiful bay of the Azores, you’ll visit another memorable geosite of the island – an abandoned quarry whose intense extraction in the past lead to an amazing scenery – Poço da Pedreira.
- Santo Espírito will be next, the parish owning the greatest example of the Azorean baroque-style – its remarkable church;
- Down we go to Maia, another well-known bay if the island for its vineyard landscape as well as Cascata do Aveiro, second tallest waterfall in Portugal;
- Now well on the South Coast, another famous geosite rests for contemplation – Ribeira do Maloás. It’s pillarlike structures are result of horizontal contraction ocurred as the lava cooled down. Similar to Giant’s Causeway in Ireland, but cooler.
- Next to Pico Alto, highest point of the island where you can get a 360º view and appreciate all you have seen so far (if weather conditions allow it!).
- Finish the tour at Praia Formosa, the most popular sand beach of the Azores and host of the oldest uninterrupted music festival in Portugal, Festival Maré de Agosto since 1984.
- An awesome local guide
- Pick-up and drop-off within Vila do Porto
- Off-road experiences in a legendary Land Rover jeep
- Taste of unique "vinho abafado" from Santa Maria and "biscoitos de orelha"
- Great memories to take home
- Lunch or any other food on the way;
- Pick-up and drop-off outside Vila. But add in on the note if you need it so we can add up to your reservation
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Rain jacket
- Comfortable shoes (avoid slippers, because they...slip)
- Good mood
- We have two jeeps: one 9-seat Land Rover and 5-seat one. If you have a larger group then 12 people, contact us in private
- Contact us if you need to bring any luggage with you
- Journeys are carried out in Portuguese and/or English, but a bit of Spanish or French is also possible. We are very good communicators;
- We can accommodate children from all ages;
- We usually start at 09AM and end by 06PM. If you have any impediment for that time, please mention it on the "Notes" field in your reservation
PER PERSON €85*
PER PRIVATE JEEP €400
* price may vary according to number of people and time of year.