Santa Maria Island has much more to see than what the ordinary viewpoints have to show – there are some details you only get to see if you choose to go off-road. By signing up on our Jeep Safari, you get to visit the main points of interest in the island, from a total different point of view. Our service also includes interpreting what you see concerning History, culture, fauna and flora.
- Start at Forte São Brás and learn about its historical importance in defending the island;
- On Anjos, visit the tidal pools as well as the first church of the Azores. Also, find out about Cristopher Columbus memorable stopover in the island.
- Barreiro da Faneca, a well-known geosite will surely take your breath away with its Mars-lookalike landscape
- Still on the North of the island, take a glance at Ilhéu das Lagoinhas and stop at Santa Bárbara parish where its inhabitants take great pride at preserving Santa Maria’s unique architecture
- On the way to São Lourenço, the most beautiful bay of the Azores, you’ll visit another memorable geosite of the island – an abandoned quarry whose intense extraction in the past lead to an amazing scenery – Poço da Pedreira.
- Santo Espírito will be next, the parish owning the greatest example of the Azorean baroque-style – its remarkable church;
- Down we go to Maia, another well-known bay if the island for its vineyard landscape as well as Cascata do Aveiro, second tallest waterfall in Portugal. On the way to Maia, see one Santa Maria’s most famous landmarks: Gonçalo Velho lighthouse.
- Now well on the South Coast, another famous geosite rests for contemplation – Ribeira do Maloás. It’s pillarlike structures are result of horizontal contraction ocurred as the lava cooled down. Similar to Giant’s Causeway in Ireland, but cooler.
- Next to Pico Alto, highest point of the island where you can get a 360º view and appreciate all you have seen so far (if weather conditions allow it!).
- Finish the tour at Praia Formosa, the most popular sand beach of the Azores and host of the oldest uninterrupted music festival in Portugal, Festival Maré de Agosto since 1984.
- Picnic lunch while looking at São Lourenço
- Taste of unique "vinho abafado" from Santa Maria and "biscoitos de orelha"
- An awesome local guide
- Pick-up and drop-off within Vila do Porto
- Off-road experiences in a legendary Land Rover jeep
- Great memories to take home
- Drinks or any other food not mentioned
- Pick-up and drop-off outside Vila. But add in on the note if you need it so we can add up to your reservation
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Rain jacket
- Comfortable shoes (avoid slippers, because they...slip)
- Good mood
- Picnic lunch does not include drinks which you may buy on the way. Be sure to mention any food allergies on the comment section on your reservation
- We have two jeeps: one 9-seat Land Rover and 5-seat one. If you have a larger group then 12 people, contact us in private
- Contact us if you need to bring any luggage with you
- Journeys are carried out in Portuguese and/or English, but a bit of Spanish or French is also possible. We are very good communicators;
- We can accommodate children from all ages;
- We usually start at 09AM and end by 06PM. If you have any impediment for that time, please mention it on the "Notes" field in your reservation
PER PERSON €95*
PER PRIVATE JEEP €400
* price may vary according to number of people and time of year.